In 2012, the Medical History Museum published the Highlights of the Collection catalogue as part of the celebration of the150th anniversary of the Melbourne Medical School at the University of Melbourne.
Established by a grant from the Wellcome Trust, the Medical History Museum opened in April 1967. It is an important collection in the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, comprising over 8000 items covering the history of the Melbourne Medical School and the broader history of medicine in Australia and overseas.
Items featured in the catalogue represent key aspects of the collection and reflect its breadth and diversity. Ranging from Roman surgical instruments to memorabilia from the Medical Students Society. The Medical History Museum is thankful to major gifts from the Wellcome Institute, the Australian Medical Association Victoria, the estate of Graham Roseby, Sir Russell and Lady Grimwade, Professor Carl de Gruchy and his sister Denise de Gruchy, medical alumni, their families and many others, who have been crucial in building this valuable historical and cultural resource.
First women students admitted to Melbourne Medical School, 1887
28.0 x 33.0 cm
Access the catalogue.