< Back to Results

The Savory & Moore Pharmacy

Maker:
Origin: England
Date: Circa 1849
Materials: wood, glass
Dimensions: 250 x 196 x 1008 cm
Category: Pharmaceutical History
Accession no: MHM2012.65
  • The University of Melbourne was presented with a major donation by the Wellcome Trust: the fixtures and furniture of the Savory and Moore Pharmacy formerly of 29 Chapel Street, Belgrave Square, London was orginally opened in 1849.It supplied the needs of the fashionalbe inhabitants of Belgrave Square and of Buckingham Palace , nearby. The pharmacy's interior was re-erected in the Medical History Museum for permanent display in its original form in 1971. The majority of the jars, bottles come from Palmer's Pharmacy, Ballarat, most with their contents of the period 1870 to 1890.It also includes pre-1920 drugs manufactured by Burroughs Wellcome and other firms.
architectural elements/MHM Classifications Wellcome Institute of the History of Medicine/notable associations/MHM Classifications Savory & Moore Pharmacy/notable associations/MHM Classifications
Gift of the Wellcome Trust, London
"Highlights of the Collection, Medical History Museum", The University of Melbourne, Melbourne/Victoria/Australia, 2012 ▫ cat no 1